Sunday, January 20, 2013

Living life at the speed of light

Life can be a rat race. We live at the speed of light. Our kids have to get up early in the morning, so we can have breakfast together and we can be at work on time. We have to drive fast, to be at work on time. We have to take new challenges all the time to make more money or make our boss believe we push ourselves to the limit. 
The result : stress, burn-out, weaker social relations, divorces, conflicts, ... We don't have time to talk anymore. We don't have time to get to know each other. 

Let me straighten this out. YOU HAVE TIME !

We can make choices. What will we do with our lives ? Do you want to invest time in being bussy at work ? Do you want to invest time with your kids ? Do you want to go camping with friends ? Do you simply want to go to the movies ? All choices are right, there are no "wrong" choices. But don't complain about all the things your neighbor achieved. Perhaps he made a choice to work hard, start his own company. Perhaps he has the best relationship with his family and kids, while you are talking with a lawyer to get your third divorce arranged because you were too much focused on you work and not your family. 

Look at this great movie and think about it. 

My story
Two years ago I gave up a well paid job with plenty of security and the complete salary package. I decided to chase my dream and start my own company. Ever since I had great moments, I've met very interesting people and smiled a lot. I had the opportunity to work on projects I really believed in. It was not a pic-nic in the park. It was difficult to start up a training company in a competitive market in times of crisis but I believed in it and did it. My bank account looked like a rollercoaster (up and down :-) )
I had time to start a blog about cooking with my kids (http://kokenmetkinderen.blogspot.com) (only in Dutch - sorry folks). I travelled the world. 
I made a choice and jumped. You can do it as well. I don't say you have to take the same decision as I did. I say you have to dream and live up to it. This my friends, is the key to success and happiness.

My advise 
Make choices. Follow your heart. Don't look back too often to complain about the bad decisions you made. Remember the great moments in your life. Believe in what you do. Build your life - every day. Or with the words of late Stephen Covey : Live a life and leave a legacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment